Our main stories for June 4, 2014 are:
We’ve been asking Law enforcement & DOJ employees to come clean and some are doing just that.
• In a huffungton post article Judge Jed Rakoff, who sits on the Federal District Court in Manhattan, said tens of thousands of innocent people are pleading guilty because they fear they will serve much longer sentences in prison if they don’t cooperate with prosecutors.
• And Former Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Gilbert Michel recounts brutalizing inmates with other workers at Men’s Central Jail, then falsifying reports.
• Thursday, May 29th, Congressman Cohen introduced an amendment to the Fiscal Year 2015 Commerce, Justice, and Science Appropriations bill that would reverse devastating cuts to the Legal Services Corporation (LSC), which helps those who cannot afford high-priced attorneys navigate the justice system. Scotty gives us the details.
• Baltimore, Ma enacts a youth curfew with a decision to create “Connection centers” for police to “drop them off”. After the apparent success of the saggin pants are a crime propaganda you know we had to weigh in on this.
• A special guest joins our conversation on Modern Day Slavery & Human trafficking. Derrick Abyss Graham
He is a Peabody Award winning Spoken Word Artist of the Year (2013), the 1st Poet on 106th and Park. (AJ & Free) and The ONLY Poet on a CD with PRINCE. Yes THAT Prince. He is also a Gospel Choice Awards performer who has appeared on HBO Def Poetry, BET Lyric Café and more. Abyss is a word warrior out of Atlanta, GA who uses his art to enact change. It’s Acid Gospel.
• Today’s State Constitution profile is Kentucky.
and our Abolitionist in profile is James Preston Washington
Expect all that and more tonight on New Abolitionists Radio!