LIVE tonight 8 PM EST US on New Abolitionists Radio on the Black Talk Radio Network.
• We’ll listen to Ajenai Clemmons as she exposes the deceptions of the 13th amendment at The Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity.
• We’ll examine this in contrast to “Slavery v. Liberty: The History and Relevance of the Thirteenth Amendment @ 150” presented by the American Bar Public Education Division.
• Then, Arts philanthropist “Agnes “Aggie” Gund is spending 100 million dollars to combat mass incarceration.
• Also, Kids For Sale (Again)
CNN investigation has uncovered that mothers think they’re temporarily giving up their children to be educated but instead, they are SOLD to adoptive families who think they’re taking in an orphan in need.
• Quote: “Many years ago, the Supreme Court made clear that the Sixth Amendment prohibits jailing people upon conviction without affording them counsel. Yet in South Carolina the practice is still commonplace. As the ACLU documented in a 2016 report co-authored with the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, “unconscionable and unacceptable practices that cause significant harm” are rampant in local courts in that state. In the Beaufort and Bluffton, thousands of poor people are cycled through their municipal courts every year. Some are condemned to jail or prison. None are given a lawyer.”
• A new study says: Over half of all police killings in 2015 were wrongly classified as not having been the result of interactions with officers, a new Harvard study based on Guardian data has found.
• And finally:
Rising in the Smoke: Prison Rebellions Across the US
-From It’s Going Down
• Our Abolitionist in Profile tonight is William Lloyd Garrison.
• In the segment ‘For Freedom’s Sake. A History of Rebellion.’ We will remember Battle of Negro Fort in November of 1816.
• Our Rider of the 21st Century Underground Railroad is Lawrence McKinney, 60, of Memphis, Tenn., who was convicted of rape and burglary in 1978 and was sentenced to prison for 115 years. He was released in 2009 after DNA evidence ruled him out as a suspect in the case.
Contact the host and producer: