Today is the August, 15th, 2018 live broadcast of New Abolitionists Radio!
We don’t have a lead story today. All of it is equally rotten acts of slavery, human trafficking, and terrorism perpetrated by 21st-century slavers under the cover of law. The good news is Max is back and ready to go.
On and near this day in history.
• On Aug 15th, 1824, Freed American slaves formed the country of Liberia. The founding of Liberia in the early 1800s was motivated by the domestic politics of slavery and race in the United States as well as by U.S. foreign policy interests. In 1816, a group of white Americans founded the American Colonization Society (ACS) to deal with the “problem” of the growing number of free blacks in the United States by resettling them in Africa. The resulting state of Liberia would become the second (after Haiti) black republic in the world at that time.
• On August 20th, 1619, The first enslaved Africans were brought by the Dutch to the American colony of Jamestown. This began a slave trade that would last centuries and affect hundreds of millions of lives up until this day right here, right now.
In direct action news:
• A NATIONWIDE prison slave labor work strike is being called for on August 21st through September 9th. Beginning just 6 days from now. If you know someone inside, tell them what’s going on. If you want to help from the outside contact organizers at email@example.com.
• The RIGHT 2 VOTE CAMPAIGN
Needs your support. It is a nationwide campaign being initiated by people currently confined in the United States. This campaign grew out of the August 21 National Prison Strike Demands, specifically, point #10: The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded.
• Our Abolitionists in profile tonight is Benjamin Rush (1746-1813). The most prominent American physician of the late-18th century.
• Our Rider of the 21st-century Underground Railroad today is former Black Panther Robert Seth Hayes has been released from prison after 45 years behind bars.
As always, we have a little time and a lot to cover. Be sure to follow the information we provide on our FB page at New Abolitionists Radio so you can see it in real time as we talk about the stories.
Also, remember to support our efforts by joining us as a member at BTRcommunity.com. I’m not joking when I say we need your help and support to continue.
You’ll find the links for today’s program on our Abolitionists Planning Page which is available to BTR Community members.
New Abolitionists Radio is an award-winning weekly radio broadcast and podcast series started in 2012 to bring awareness to legalized slavery and human trafficking in the United States which is inadequately referred to as “mass incarceration”.
The 13th Amendment of the US Consitution did end slavery when it carves out the exception clause that led directly to Jim Crow laws across the country, primarily in the South to target the large African-American populations the vast majority who were formerly enslaved and put them into what became known as the convict leasing system which is still in practice in less barbaric ways than in the 1800s. Because of the 13th Amendment, all persons of every age, sex, gender, race, religion or national origin can legally become of slaves regardless of guilt or innocence.
Contact the host and producer:
[contact-form to=’firstname.lastname@example.org’ subject=’New Abolitionists Radio Comment’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]