Listen to this enlightening episode of BTR News as I engage in a compelling conversation with Professor Jocelyn Simonson, acclaimed author of “Radical Acts of…
Program for June 25th 2014,
• Brother Mark Clements of No More Death Penalty out of Chicago joins us to discuss police brutality and other related issues in the Chicago area.
In 1981 Mark Clements was a 16 year old juvenile who was kidnapped by cops and taken to Area Three Violent Crime Unit. Mark’s parents where not notified of his detainment and he was subsequently tortured by Chicago police into falsely confessing to an arson fire that killed four people. He served 28 years inside the Illinois Department of Corrections on a natural life sentence before his sentence and conviction were overturned.
Chicago Police tortures in the city of Chicago under Jon Burge first occurred in 1972. Burge and his subordinates went on to beat and torture as many as 200 African American and Latino men getting them all to confess to crimes they all say they did not commit.
Mark played a very key role in Jon Burge being found guilty for perjury and obstruction of Justice in which he was found guilty and sentence to four and a half years. Burge will be released from a North Carolina prison in October, 2014. Burge nor any one of his subordinates have ever been charged with the tortures.
Today Mark is a wrongful conviction coordinator with the Chicago Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression and the administrator over the Campaign to End the Death Penalty.
Mark can be reached via Facebook at Mark A. Clements and on twitter @Prisonerspeaks or by telephone at 1-847-276-1382.
• In Charleston, SC Witnesses Say Cops Made a Teen Kneel Down and then Shot Him in the Back. We discuss the story.
• In Philadelphia Cops Vow to Arrest You For Pot, Even If New Bill Tells Them Not To.
• A caller last week told us that Florida has a racketeering law entitled, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization, referred to as the Florida RICO Act. And it’s being used against teenagers. We checked it out. Yohanan has the story
• Today’s State Constitution profile is Michigan
and our Abolitionist in profile is the real “Uncle Tom” Josiah Henson (June 15, 1789 – May 5, 1883)
Expect all that and more tonight on New Abolitionists Radio
class=”statcounter” src=”http://c.statcounter.com/9004829/0/50488c40/1/” alt=”free web stats”/>