Abolition Today is a weekly online radio program with a specific focus on modern slavery as it is practiced through the 13th amendment of the US constitution and by private for-profit prisons worldwide.
January 27th 2016. Our stories include;
• A bipartisan task force created by Congress issued what they are labeling as “an urgent call to action” Tuesday to overhaul the nation’s federal prisons and reduce the number of U.S. inmates by 60,000 over the next decade. It’s a smack in the face to everything we know.
• Using Kalief Browder’s story as an example President Obama wrote a lengthy Op-Ed in the Washington Post on limiting the practice of placing juveniles in solitary confinement. This comes in concert with a new ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court on life sentences. We’ll offer our perspectives as abolitionists
• According to the Miami Herald, the death of Darren Rainey, 50, in 2012 was attributed to complications stemming from schizophrenia, heart disease and “confinement” in the shower where he was placed as punishment for defecating in his cell and then refusing to clean it up. In other words. It was an accident that they locked him in a scalding shower until his skin fell off and it killed him. Effectively fulfilling George Mallinckrodt’s book on “Getting Away With Murder”
• A disturbing yet incredibly revealing video was uploaded to YouTube yesterday which shows a Kennewick police officer admit to a slew of misdeeds. His admissions to teenagers is all caught on tape as he explains criminal and unconstitutional police quotas. In other words he tells you he’s a slave catcher.
• Louisiana, ‘Prison Capital’ Of The World, Hosts Biggest US Prison Convention. Yea that is the headlines. We’ll go into it tonight along with sharing a chart that will show you how Private Companies Profit from Almost Every Function of America’s Criminal Justice System
• This week’s Rider of the 21st Century Underground Railroad is Alan Newton, who spent 22 years behind bars for a rape he didn’t commit.
• Our Abolitionist in profile tonight is Nat Turner (1800–1831)
The subject of the new film ‘Birth Of A Nation.’
If you want truth and facts vs lies and fiction, support independent media.http://tinyurl.com/fundblackmedia