Today is the May 9th, 2018 broadcast of New Abolitionists Radio in the last month of our 6th season.
• On and near this day in history.
May 9, 1800, John Brown, the abolitionist was born.
May 7th, 1914 – US Congress establishes “Mother’s Day.”
Also, on May 9th, 1982 my oldest son and namesake was born.
Happy birthday, son.
• Today is a free flow day. We’ll be building in a Socratic dialogue. During the program, I want to talk about the nation of Brazil and their newly formed for-profit prison industry. I believe that be seeing how this system we import globally works in a nation that hasn’t had generations of propaganda to legitimize legal slavery, can offer critical insights
• Of course, we’ve got a few stories for our segment “the slave catcher chronicles”. Too damned many to be honest. It’s always too damned many.
• I also want to rant a little if you don’t mind. Just a little about what being an abolitionist ally means and why it is so critical to call slavery by its rightful name.
• Then, if time allows, we want to cover an article and upcoming book about The Last Slave Ship Survivor Gave an Interview in the 1930s. It Just Surfaced
In direct action news
• Again, We want to remind you about a Call for a #Juneteenth 2018 Mobilization Against Prison Slavery from SPARC This year. Supporters of #OperationPUSH, are calling on all opponents of mass incarceration and modern-day slavery internationally to honor the Juneteenth holiday (Tuesday, June 19, 2018) with community organizing and direct action.
• Another reminder. A NATIONWIDE prison slave labor work strike is being called for on August 21st. I have been informed that Angola Prison has already begun. If you know someone inside, tell them what’s going on.
• In honor of his birthday, Our abolitionist in profile tonight is John Brown. (1800–1859)
• Our Riders of the 21st-century Underground Railroad are Gregory Counts and VanDyke Perry.
With the consent of the District Attorney’s Office, a New York County Supreme Court judge vacated their convictions for a 1991 gang-rape that the complainant now acknowledges never occurred. The two men served a combined 36 years for a crime that never occurred.
Be sure to follow the information on our FB page at New Abolitionists radio and also support our efforts by joining the community.blacktalkradione