Tiger Woods involved in accident. Are the Brooklyn Nets now the favorites to win it all? Who should the Lakers to pursue in the Buyout…
Today is the June 20th, 2018 broadcast of New Abolitionists Radio.
One day removed from the 2018 Juneteenth commemorations.
On and near this day in history…
• On June 19th, 1865, Juneteenth. The anniversary of the alleged end of slavery is recognized across the country. The day marks the anniversary of when General Gordon Granger arrived in Texas with his Union soldiers in 1865 and proclaimed that the Civil War was over and that slaves there were free. The holiday is the oldest celebration of the alleged end of slavery in the country. Granger arrived with the news more than two years after President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, but after General Robert E. Lee surrendered, Granger had enough manpower to actually enforce Lincoln’s order, according to the Library of Congress. The order issued by Granger said, “All slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights.” The Emancipation Proclamation itself was not effective in freeing the slaves because not only did some plantation owners not tell their slaves, the proclamation was restricted to the rebellious states that had seceded from the Union. The proclamation didn’t free the slaves living in the states that had not seceded or those that were under the control of the Union at the time when the proclamation was issued, according to the Library of Congress. It was also issued before the Union won the war, and was dependent on that win.
In our direct action news,
• The Call for a #Juneteenth 2018 Mobilization Against Prison Slavery from SPARC This year has concluded. We want to thank supporters of Supporters of #OperationPUSH and New Abolitionists radio for your efforts in bringing the truth to a party of lies.
• Another event yet remains on the horizon. A NATIONWIDE prison slave labor work strike is being called for on August 21st through September 9th. If you know someone inside, tell them what’s going on.
• Then there is the RIGHT 2 VOTE CAMPAIGN
They need your support. It is a nationwide campaign being initiated by people currently confined in the United States. This campaign grew out of the August 21 National Prison Strike Demands, specifically, point #10: The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded.
• Our abolitionist in profile is William Cooper Nell (1816-1874)
An abolitionist who like myself and my experiences in trying to garner the support of the Black church and the Quaker community denounced them as pro-slavery advocates due to their absolute silence on the subject.
• Our Riders of the 21st-century Underground Railroad are The Central Park 5. Raymond Santana, Kevin Richardson, Antron McCray, Yusef Salaam, and Korey Wise.
Five black and Hispanic boys, ages 14 to 16 who at the time of their arrests, claimed that incriminating statements they had given had been coerced by the authorities. The statements were ruled admissible, and the men were convicted in two separate trials in 1990. They had been accused of violently raping a woman in The NYC park. Now president Trump bought a full-page ad in the NY Times calling for their deaths. Hillary Clinton used them as examples in her “super-predators” speech demonizing black and Hispanic boys.
In 2002, Matias Reyes, a convicted murderer and serial rapist in prison, confessed to raping the jogger, and DNA evidence confirmed his guilt. He knew facts about the crime that only the offender could have known and also said he committed the rape alone. The men were exonerated and the city settled the case for $41 million in 2014.
• If you participated in the Juneteenth celebrations we want to hear from you. So call in tonight.
We’ve got a lot to cover tonight so let’s get to it.
Be sure to follow the information we provide on our FB page at New Abolitionists radio so you can see it in real time as we talk about the stories. Also, remember to support our efforts by joining us as a member at community.blacktalkradionetwork.com. You’ll find the links for today’s program on our Abolitionists Planning Page.